10 New Year's Resolutions for New Parents
You don't need to think about marathons and diets when you're holding a newborn baby. Here are ten promises new parents would be much better off making to themselves:
- We will let one another have a lie in now and then (and not act like we're doing each other an enormous favour).
- We will let one another have time to ourselves now and then (and not act like we're doing each other an enormous favour).
- We will not cram every moment of our free time with scheduled activities; sometimes we'll just hang out as a family, chucking plastic toys about.
- We will never, ever, ever comment on one another's parenting technique between going to bed at night and getting up in the morning; we will accept that we may not be at our most rational overnight.
- We will not feel guilty about sharing lots of photos on Facebook. Our mums will love it; everybody else can hide us, if they want.
- We will not gauge our worth by how clean the toilet is. Because it probably isn't.
- We will buy baby things wisely, not anxiously (because very few gadgets will actually improve our baby's sleep, no matter how desperate we feel when we pay for them).
- We will get outdoors every day that the weather allows. Unless there's a new episode of Bing on CBeebies.
- We will be sure to enjoy cake and biscuits while our baby is too young to want a bite.
- We will make our own decisions about how to raise our child; we won't let other people scare us into ignoring our instincts.