That seems to me like a lot to ask of yourself. Especially at this time of year when it's cold and dark and the fun of the holidays is behind us. It's hard to have much willpower in January and easy to fall into gloomy remorse if you fail.
So how about, instead of making yourself a 365-day-long promise to be a perfect person, you attempt to do just one little thing each day - or, okay, most days - which makes you feel a little bit better about yourself? Something which doesn't take long and doesn't require much effort but will still earn you a gold star on your mental rewards chart?
With 31 days in January, I've pulled together a list of 31 suggestions to get you started. There's no need to commit to doing all of these in January or in this order or even at all but, if you do, it might help to know that the weekends are marked in bold.
- Drink lots of water.
- Invest in new bedding. If your pillows are lumpy or your duvet is stained, make the most of the sales and replace them.
- Do that one tiny DIY job you keep avoiding.
- Put food out for the birds.
- Clear out your blog reader. Remove any blogs which you consistently ignore or which haven't been updated in over a year.
- Send a thank you card.
- Make that appointment you've been procrastinating about.
- Throw out your uncomfortable shoes. Life's less fun when your feet hurt.
- Follow a new recipe.
- Use something you usually save for best.
- Get some fresh air.
- Have an early night.
- Chuck out your tatty underwear.
- Ditch the junk emails. Spend ten minutes going through your inbox/deleted items and hitting "Unsubscribe".
- Dance like nobody's watching.
- Snack healthy.
- Get your favourite photos printed.
- Switch one caffeinated drink for fruit/mint/ginger/green tea today.
- Clear out your old cosmetics.
- Repair one of the things in your mending pile.
- Update your About Me page/LinkedIn profile/Etsy profile/any other online showcase of yourself.
- Look into better bank accounts. If you find one, actually apply for it.
- Bake something tasty.
- Make a big fuss of your pets or, if you don't have pets, walk a friend's dog.
- Get up early and make an effort with breakfast.
- Leave something silly for a stranger to find.
- Check all the best before dates in your kitchen cupboard
- Add some sparkle to your outfit.
- Write a big list of FUN things to do with the rest of the year.
Check back in at the end of the month and let me know how you got on!
For more cheap ways to improve your day, check out my BIG list of suggestions over here.